Yes, the "dozen witless wonders" cited in an April 26 editorial did a very stupid thing, endangered other drivers and cared nothing for the community in which they live ("Fools and fast cars are a dangerous mix," regarding the news story "Supercar drivers cited at 100 mph"). But what about the tens of thousands of witless wonders who text, put on makeup, take selfies, talk on the phone or read the Star Tribune while driving? Aren't they equally as stupid and uncaring about their community as the Lamborghini louts?
As we throw trash out of car windows, treat distracted driving as a right or slip into a handicapped parking space (because who wants to walk all the way down the row), we demonstrate a sad truth — we no longer feel that we belong to a community that deserves our respect and care. We are individuals! We deserve everything we can take. Other people can worry about themselves.
We cannot cure the individualist witless wonders with fines, only with the same kind of change of heart that this state generated about smoking.
Elaine Frankowski, Minneapolis
• • •
I am hoping that the county attorney and local policing organizations will further investigate the illegal and terrorist activity that took place on Interstate 394 by a gang known for its life-threatening behavior involving the use of exotic and dangerous vehicles. I would also hope that we confiscate the expensive equipment it collaboratively used to avoid law enforcement and terrorize the community. The revenue generated from the auction of only one of its cars would support a community-based youth intervention program for a year.
It's interesting that when dangerous group behavior is committed by middle-aged, affluent, suburban males, the fear generated is nil — and their behavior is described as an innocent lark. However, when less dangerous behavior is attributed to youth who are poor, nonwhite and from urban neighborhoods, the fear generated is disproportionately high — and often accompanied by demands for draconian law enforcement.
David Wilmes, Roseville
PRINCE'S DEATH
I'm skeptical of painkiller claims; media should be, too
While I read Mick Sterling's bittersweet and lovely tribute to Prince with a heavy heart ("His music, our moments," April 26), I'm sad to see the attorney for Prince's siblings emerge for what can only be publicity reasons to state that said family members told him years ago that Prince had an illicit drug problem, and for the Star Tribune to imply that this was the cause of Prince's death in a salacious above-the-fold headline ("Inquiry into Prince's death focusing on drugs," also April 26). Until a medical report is issued from a legitimate source, such speculation is not "news." It is TMZ-like gossip journalism, and I expect better from the Star Tribune.
It's curious to note that these same siblings have not appeared in any news footage or articles in the last week, where we have seen Tyka Nelson, Sheila E. and other close associates of Prince. As reported by the Star Tribune, these same siblings allegedly sued Prince numerous times (with the help of the newspaper's source who alleged the drug issues, attorney Michael Padden, who may better spend his time in an ethics refresher). Their dubious relationship with Prince makes me skeptical of their claims. Again, I expect better of my newspaper, which, with the exception of Tuesday's smear, has done a remarkable job in honoring our hometown boy.