A Richfield police officer who was seen on video striking a Somali-American teenager in the fall of 2015 must be reinstated to the force, an independent arbitrator said Wednesday, and police officials in the first-ring suburb aren't happy about that.
Officer Nate Kinsey had been fired by the city of Richfield. Instead, the arbitrator said, he will serve a three-day suspension and again be a member of the department.
"We are extremely disappointed with the arbitrator's decision," Richfield Police Chief Jay Henthorne said in a news release Wednesday. "We do not agree with this decision nor do we condone this type of behavior.
"The Richfield Police Department is trying to create a culture of personal responsibility and build community trust at a time where police officers are not necessarily looked at favorably," he wrote. "[Kinsey] was given every opportunity to correct his behavior as it relates to his duties. ... He simply did not change his behavior as it relates to using and documenting use of force, so the city had no other alternative except to terminate his employment."
The news release said the city "will be considering the use of body cameras for its officers, extensive retraining of all sworn police personnel, and is also currently weighing appeal options."
The union representing Kinsey released a statement Wednesday evening saying, "We are pleased with the arbitrator's decision to reinstate officer Kinsey.
"[He] is held in high regard by his fellow officers and supervisors and is known for his honesty, commitment, and dedication," said Sean Gormley, executive director of Law Enforcement Labor Services. "The incident in question demonstrates the challenges officers face on a regular basis. [It] also illustrates the pitfalls of jumping to conclusions based on partial video and audio recordings.
"Officer Kinsey recognizes the arbitrator's decision as a chance to demonstrate a renewed commitment to serving the community of Richfield with dignity and respect for others," the statement concluded.