An Eagan gas station may have put El Sazon Tacos & More on the map, gastronomically speaking. But it’s no longer just a pit stop.
Karen and Cristian de Leon, the couple behind a budding restaurant empire, are bringing their original concept to the heart of the city, and there’s no more need to fuel up.
El Sazon Tacos & More will open March 14 at Eat Street Crossing, in the stand vacated last month by Bebe Zito’s burger operation, Karen de Leon told the Minnesota Star Tribune.
“It was very sudden,” she said.
The de Leons got the idea when they had heard about the vacancy. They wanted a central location to offer their tacos, burritos and bowls at lunch and dinner, and inquired, not expecting much to come of it. Instead, they got an offer to move in immediately.
But they had to push the brakes slightly. They had just opened a new restaurant, Xelas by El Sazon, in Stillwater, at the end of January. And their south Minneapolis restaurant, El Sazon Cocina & Tragos, is celebrating Valentine’s Day this weekend with a special menu inspired by chef Cristian’s nostalgia for one of his earlier jobs cooking at Chino Latino.
Other than the owners being incredibly busy, El Sazon’s new food hall spot is nearly ready to go. They’re hoping for a mid-March opening.
“It’s the perfect size, and it has all the equipment,” Karen said.