St. Anthony city leaders never wavered over the fate of a plan to redevelop Lowry Grove, the suburb's now-vacant mobile home park.
Their resounding decision: Not this project — at least not in its current form.
The City Council's unanimous rejection Tuesday night of the 712-unit proposal throws uncertainty on the site's future. It also spurred applause inside City Hall, just hours after Mayor Jerry Faust warned the crowd against cheering.
"I told you I don't allow applauding — unless it's for me," Faust quipped.
City officials cited density, traffic and worries about disrupting the neighborhood's character as key reasons behind their 4-0 vote. The proposal had called for townhouses and apartment buildings on about 17 acres. The plan included 97 units of affordable housing to replace the mobile homes lost after Lowry Grove's controversial sale and June 30 closure.
Thorny allegations abounded before Tuesday's decision, including questions about the role of city staffers, who initially encouraged the high-density development before abruptly turning against it. The developer and those working with former Lowry Grove residents questioned the suburb's commitment to affordable housing.
Brad Hoyt, president of the Village, a development firm that bought Lowry Grove, said in a letter to St. Anthony leaders that the park would still be open if the city had been clear about density concerns. Hoyt said city staff had indicated "the more density, the better," suggesting the site could accommodate 1,100 units.
City Council members defended the staff's work and the city's support for affordable homes. Faust called for an end to "acrimony" and "animosity."