A suspended St. John's University student is alleging gender bias and is suing his school and an affiliated college, claiming they falsely found that he probably committed sexual misconduct involving a female student after an evening of Halloween partying last year.
Aaron Wildenborg, of Red Wing, Minn., on Tuesday sued St. John's and the neighboring College of St. Benedict in federal court, alleging that school officials erred in determinations of whether he had consent for sex and whether the woman was vulnerable because she was drunk.
Wildenborg also contends that the investigation was biased against him because he was prevented from fairly challenging her contentions of what happened that night and that she retreated from her initial allegations.
The suit further characterizes the St. Benedict student as being more of the sexual aggressor, noting that she did not request his consent for sexual acts she performed on him and notes that she was not subject to the same school investigation as he was for her actions that night.
Wildenborg, 20, seeks the immediate lifting of a two-year ban on his attending St. John's, restoration of scholarships, compensation of at least $75,000, and payment of attorney fees and other costs associated with his filing suit.
Michael Hemmesch, spokesman for both schools, which are west of St. Cloud, said Wednesday that officials are aware of the suit but federal law prevents them from commenting.
Other schools, including the University of St. Thomas in St. Paul, are facing similar suits saying that colleges have trampled on the rights of the accused in their race to respond to federal pressure to swiftly prosecute allegations of campus rape and sexual assault.
Andrea Jepsen, Wildenborg's attorney, said Wednesday that "there is a pretty significant double standard," since his consent was not sought by the young woman and school officials did not look into that.