St. Paul Mayor Chris Coleman, who has led the city for more than a decade, will not run for re-election next year.
He announced his decision Thursday at a brewery just south of University Avenue, where he touted St. Paul's growth and accomplishments during his nearly three terms in office. He stopped short of committing to future political plans.
Coleman has said he is considering a run for governor, but did not confirm whether he will enter that race. If he does, he is expected to be one of many people vying for the state's top political office.
"Obviously it's something I've been thinking about, but today my focus is just about the work that lies ahead for the next year in the city," Coleman said in an interview, adding that his decision on the governor's race "will come a little bit later."
His announcement before family members and supporters at Lake Monster Brewing leaves the door open for others with mayoral aspirations. So far, only Melvin Carter III, a former City Council member who heads the state's Office of Early Learning, and former school board member Tom Goldstein have filed to form campaign committees.
But former City Council member Pat Harris said he is considering it and will make an announcement soon, and Council Member Amy Brendmoen said a lot of people have been encouraging her to go after the job.
People have been waiting for Coleman to say whether he would run again before announcing their candidacy, Brendmoen said.
Looking back at his time in the mayor's office, Coleman said he was proud of the renewed vitality in St. Paul, with the Green Line, the restaurants and CHS Field in Lowertown, and the Palace Theatre opening.