A veteran Twin Cities health care attorney has been hired to investigate the bungled case of a psychiatric patient who was discharged last month from the Minnesota Security Hospital and then dropped off on a Minneapolis street corner to fend for himself.
Attorney Mary Foarde, a former general counsel at Allina Health System and now a partner at Friedemann-Foarde in Minneapolis, will review the incident and make recommendations to state officials to prevent similar mistakes in the future.
"That anyone would think it's OK to discharge someone from a state security hospital to a homeless shelter is just fundamentally wrong," said Human Services Commissioner Lucinda Jesson, who appointed Foarde and whose agency oversees the hospital.
"This appears to have been a systems failure, and it has to be examined to make sure it doesn't happen again," Jesson said in an interview Thursday.
Raymond Traylor, 23, a psychiatric patient and a registered sex offender, was released in a case marked by paperwork and care errors. After the case was reported in the Star Tribune, Gov. Mark Dayton voiced his anger, calling the incident a series of "failures and blunders."
Traylor's discharge was the latest in a series of care and management lapses at the St. Peter hospital, Minnesota's largest psychiatric facility and home to nearly 400 of the state's most dangerous patients.
Foarde is expected to complete her findings by the end of September. The Department of Human Services will pay her firm $5,000. The contract calls for Foarde to examine circumstances surrounding "the failure to develop and execute an appropriate discharge plan, and identify system failures that resulted."
Traylor has a long, violent criminal record and psychosis that dates back to his childhood, according to court records. Before his release, he underwent a series of electroshock therapy sessions because his violent behavior could not be controlled even by a maximum dosage of medications, records show.