The ongoing outbreak of Legionnaires' disease in Hopkins, which rose to 17 cases Thursday, is part of a dramatic national increase that so far has baffled doctors and epidemiologists.
The three new cases reported Thursday involved patients over 50 — an age group most likely to be susceptible to the pneumonia-like infection, the Minnesota Department of Health said. All have been hospitalized. One elderly person died as a result of the infection since the outbreak was first reported Sept. 9.
Health officials said more cases could emerge in the coming week because the infection has an incubation period of 10 days, and it could take a few more days for patients to see a doctor and have their cases reported.
Officials have disinfected two suspect industrial air conditioning systems in Hopkins and turned off a decorative fountain, each a potential source of the bacteria.
"We didn't leave any stone unturned," said Richard Danila, who is leading the investigation for the Health Department.
Hopkins officials say residents have taken the outbreak in stride. They've reported possible sources and cases to state health officials, and local companies quickly gave access to health investigators and disinfected their ventilation systems.
Nonetheless, there is a sense of unease among some.
"I think people are scared," said Crystal Jacobson, manager of the Mainstreet Bar and Grill. She said attendance at the bar's music events seems to be down, and some in the community fear that people are avoiding Hopkins.