The protest over Saudi Arabia's ban against female drivers has arrived by limousine in Minnesota.
Three Rochester women who were hired in 2010 to drive Prince Abdul-Rahman bin Abdul-Aziz and his entourage say they were let go after the prince told the U.S.-based companies that hired them that he wanted only male chauffeurs.
The women, Gretchen Cooper, 36, Barbara Herold, 65, and Lisa Boutelle, 50, filed a federal lawsuit last week in Minneapolis alleging sex discrimination by the prince. The suit also names as defendants Mohamed Ali Elbashir who does business in Rochester as Crown Prince Limousine, Premier Crescent Services of Rochester and Highland International Transportation Services Inc. of New York. The latter two firms allegedly hired drivers for the prince.
Cooper said the three filed suit because they believe their civil rights were violated but they also want to spread the word about the driving restrictions in Saudi Arabia.
"We are standing in solidarity with these women," she said Friday.
According to the nonprofit group Human Rights Watch, Saudi Arabia remains the only country in the world that prohibits women from driving.
While there's no law against women driving in Saudi Arabia, a 1991 fatwa, or religious ruling by a grand mufti, said that allowing women to drive could "lead to many evils and negative consequences."
A profitable job