The Timberwolves announced this week that they will begin a search for a new president of basketball operations, after Tom Thibodeau was fired Jan. 6.
Whoever is hired will most likely have the final say on whether to keep or replace interim coach Ryan Saunders and General Manager Scott Layden after a difficult 2018-2019 season, which unraveled because of Jimmy Butler's trade demand at the start of the season and later injuries to key players such as forward Robert Covington and guards Jeff Teague and Derrick Rose.
In a recent conversation, Wolves owner Glen Taylor said the team will keep most of their basketball staff in place as they prepare for the NBA draft on June 20.
If the Wolves don't get lucky in the draft lottery on May 14 and move up, they most likely will have the No. 10 pick in the first round and the No. 43 pick in the second.
"Working with the draft is something we started a number of months ago, so these guys have been out there working on that," Taylor said. "We have a team of people working on that. We'll continue to use them since they have done all the work and [are] providing me with information that they have gathered so far."
Taylor said it has been hard to judge Saunders' performance because of injuries and roster issues, but said he has been pleased overall with the performance of the 32-year-old interim coach.
"He has been working under a handicap, mostly because of so many guys being injured," said Taylor, who also owns the Star Tribune. "We had three guys we had planned being out there playing considerable time, just being injured and all going through operations. It has been difficult for him, but on the other hand, he has learned to use all the players on the bench and has put a different group out there depending on the situation. I am really proud of what he has done."
How does Taylor analyze Saunders' performance?