A tiny school district created to achieve racial integration is in turmoil, its principal facing a suspension for inappropriate relationships with staff members, the superintendent on leave and under investigation, and parents left frustrated.
The explosion of personnel issues at the top came as the 1,052-student West Metro Education Program is already grappling with accomplishing its founding purpose to bring suburban white students to its downtown Minneapolis school and minority students to its Crystal school.
The district has also been forced to cut costs to pay for investigative bills and an acting leader while Superintendent Dan Jett is on paid leave. The board voted unanimously Wednesday night to extend the $3,000-per-week contract of the temporary superintendent for up to four more weeks.
"We definitely have our work cut out for us at the board level to recognize why we have these issues and what's going on," said Carla Bates, a Minneapolis representative to the district's board.
The district, which is run by board members from 11 school districts from St. Anthony to Eden Prairie, was formed in 1989 as a way to provide opportunities for Minneapolis minority students to attend the Crystal school while drawing white suburbanites to the downtown school. But Bates said the Crystal school's arts-focused program drew many white, middle-class students from Minneapolis and the downtown school drew many low-income minority students from suburbs, reinforcing metro segregation. Both schools are named Fine Arts Interdisciplinary Resource School, or FAIR.
Allegations called 'unfounded'
The two schools are overseen by Principal Kevin Bennett, last year named the state's middle school principal of the year, who is paid $127,985 a year. In response to a Star Tribune inquiry, the district disclosed that the board suspended him for two days for infractions in three areas.
Bennett's attorney, Clayton Halunen, said that he has told Bennett not to publicly comment on the matter for now, but added that Bennett believes the district's findings "to be unfounded and motivated by personal animus."
Halunen also confirmed that Bennett was the source of allegations against Jett, which prompted the board to put Jett on leave and authorize an investigation of him. There's been no disclosure of why Jett is being investigated. The board voted for Jett's leave and Bennett's two-day unpaid suspension at its Jan. 30 meeting. Bennett will serve that suspension April 3-4, acting superintendent Antoinette Johns said Tuesday.