State health officials requested $25 million Wednesday to prepare for the novel coronavirus amid growing signs of the virus' spread from China to the U.S. — and in all likelihood to Minnesota.
Increasing precautions include the self-quarantine of two University of Minnesota students who landed Tuesday at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport after being in close contact with a third traveler who had been diagnosed with COVID-19, the illness the coronavirus causes.
State Health Commissioner Jan Malcolm said in a budget request that funding is necessary so the state can track the circulation of the virus, educate the public on how to reduce their exposure, and test what will likely be an increasing number of sick patients to determine if the virus caused their illnesses.
"What has dramatically happened in the last number of days is we are seeing community spread in an increasing number of states, which obviously gives us a great deal of concern," Malcolm said.
The decision for the two travelers to be self-quarantined for 14 days was made after officials with the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention evaluated them on the plane. A statement from the University of Minnesota identified the two as students.
The sick traveler they'd been with in Europe was "not allowed to board the plane," but the other two were allowed to fly home because they had no symptoms of COVID-19, said Richard Danila, assistant state epidemiologist for the Minnesota Department of Health.
Isolating the travelers for two weeks will determine if they too are infected before they interact with any more people, Danila said. Other travelers on the flight will be notified if either of the two Minnesotans is diagnosed with COVID-19.
"If you do have a known contact to a known case, whether that be in Japan or South Korea or Europe or Washington state, the recommendation is voluntary quarantine for 14 days following the last exposure," he said.