For the second time in two years, a traveling drum and bugle corps show has been bumped from the University of Minnesota's football stadium, and organizers are crying foul.
In 2014, the U Athletics Department forced Drum Corps International to give up its slot to make way for a free concert. Auditors later slammed the decision, which cost the university an estimated $125,000 in lost revenue.
Last month, the university told the same group that it would have to move its July 16 event, this time to make room for a private football camp run by coach Tracy Claeys.
The change is expected to cost the university tens of thousands of dollars in lost rent and disrupt a popular traveling tour, with thousands of student musicians, once again.
Todd Tanji of Eagan, one of the organizers of the drum corps show, said he got a call March 9 telling him the stadium was no longer available on the scheduled tour date. His reaction, he recalled, was: "Here we go again."
University officials say they mistakenly double-booked the facility last fall and didn't discover the problem until months later.
"This was simply a situation where we made an error in a particular date," said Tom McGinnis, chief financial officer for the Athletics Department, which handles stadium bookings. Since March, the two sides have been trying to reschedule the event. But as of Friday, McGinnis said, "we have not come to a final solution."
Organizers say that Minneapolis has been one of the most popular stops, drawing up to 8,000 fans every summer to watch some of the top drum and bugle corps in the country. Since 2010, the event has been held at the university's TCF Bank Stadium every summer but one.