U.S. Bancorp's first-quarter profit fell 3 percent, hurt by soured loans in the energy patch, but executives said the trouble was contained and sounded upbeat about the rest of the year.
"We're feeling good across the board," Richard Davis, the firm's chief executive, said in a discussion with analysts about the results announced Wednesday. "We already know what quarter two is starting to look like and it's feeling very robust."
Davis, the highest-profile bank executive in Minneapolis, also made his first extensive public remarks about the review of bank industry risk and too-big-to-fail policies that's underway at the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
Leaders of several major banks and trade groups have criticized the project, which is designed to create legislative proposals for Congress later this year. Davis said he's confident a "balanced recommendation" will emerge from the effort.
He said he's met with Neel Kashkari, the new Minneapolis Fed president who launched the policy review, and has been able to share his thoughts "routinely" with him privately. He said the two enjoy a good relationship.
"I don't think he's coming in with his gun sights on U.S. Bank. In fact, I'm sure he's not," Davis said. "I appreciate his approach. I welcome people coming with ideas."
At a symposium at the Minneapolis Fed earlier this month, one speaker suggested limiting the size of American banking companies at an asset level that is smaller than U.S. Bank's, something that, if accepted by Congress, would force the Minneapolis-based firm to cut down its size.
In the call with analysts, Davis said the company, which is the nation's fifth-largest bank, is the right size. "Kind of the Goldilocks of banks," he said.