The Vikings emerged winners on Sunday night against the New Orleans Saints, but one hit didn't sit well and could have a lasting effect headed into the NFC Championship Game in Philadelphia next weekend.
At the end of the third quarter, New Orleans' comeback attempt was sparked right after Vikings safety Andrew Sendejo was blindsided by Saints receiver Michael Thomas. The hit left Sendejo laying on his back, seemingly in a daze, shortly before he was able to sit up and walk off the field.
Sendejo, who had an impressive leaping interception earlier in the game, was quickly ruled out because of a concussion.
"I thought it was an illegal hit," fellow safety Harrison Smith said after the Vikings' 29-24 victory. "Want to talk about defenseless receivers and all that stuff, it's got to go both ways. That's what I saw."
The hit particularly struck the Vikings since Sendejo was suspended one game in October after a hit on Baltimore's Mike Wallace that left the ex-Vikings receiver in a similar dazed state. Wallace's helmet was knocked off, Sendejo was flagged for unnecessary roughness and his appeal of the suspension was later denied.
However, there was no penalty for Thomas' hit on Sendejo. Officials picked up a flag that had been thrown on the play.
"I mean, Sendejo got suspended for what was a legal hit," Smith said. "So, I don't know. I don't know anymore."
While the Vikings athletic training staff attended to Sendejo, cornerback Xavier Rhodes was visibly angered by the hit and jawing with Saints players. Nose tackle Linval Joseph needed to help restrain Rhodes, who continued to jaw with Thomas through the fourth quarter.