Mortenson Construction showed off the 90 percent complete Minnesota Vikings stadium Tuesday with a tour minutes after an upbeat announcement of a resolution with the state over $15 million in disputed costs on the $1.1 billion building.
Michele Kelm-Helgen, chairwoman of Minnesota Sports Facilities Authority (MSFA), told reporters that a deal had been reached with general contractor Mortenson after months of closed-door negotiations. She expects the board to vote on the settlement at Friday's regularly scheduled meeting. The details of the arrangement will then become public.
"There will be a number," Kelm-Helgen said Tuesday. "It's not finalized yet. But there will be a number hopefully Friday."
With that, she, Mortenson general superintendent Dave Mansell and Lester Bagley, Vikings executive vice president, led a tour for dozens of reporters through the building that is nearly double the size of the Metrodome it replaced.
Two-thirds of the purple seats are in place. Video boards hover above each end zone. Some concession areas, suites and clubs are also completed. The signature five pivoting glass doors on the west end of the building have been installed, and the roof was finished late last year.
"We're over the hump of any big stuff that's gonna jump out and bite us," Mansell said.
By April 8, all the seats will be in, he added. "We're right on track for where we want to be," he said.
The stadium is the largest public-private project in state history. Team owners Mark and Zygi Wilf are paying about half the cost, with taxpayers paying $498 million. Disputes continue over the public park in front of the stadium, lack of tailgating space and signs on the adjacent Wells Fargo towers, but overall construction has been unfailingly on pace — despite the death of a worker in a fall last summer — the cause of which has not been disclosed.