The Minneapolis man who admitted to throwing a 5-year-old boy over a third-floor railing at the Mall of America earlier this year offered no apology and no explanation for his actions before he was sentenced Monday morning to 19 years in prison.
"Is there anything you want to say?" asked Hennepin County District Judge Jeannice Reding.
"No," said Emmanuel D. Aranda, dressed in an untucked button-down shirt and slacks.
The Woodbury boy named Landen survived the shocking incident, which captured worldwide attention, but suffered massive head trauma and fractures in his arms and legs. His parents did not attend Aranda's sentencing, but provided victim-impact statements that were read aloud in court. Both said they forgive Aranda, and that their son's story has touched people across the world.
"I'm not letting you take any part of our family," said the boy's mother. "You're not taking our love, our joy, our peace; you're not taking anything! I refuse to be full of anger and hatred. I refuse to let you take my joy."
Family spokeswoman Kathy Tunheim, who was in attendance, said the boy remains in "treatment," and that the family continues to ask for privacy. Neither parents' names were mentioned in court, although they gave permission for their son to be identified by his first name.
"He continues to heal," Tunheim said.
Aranda, 24, pleaded guilty last month to one count of attempted first-degree murder for the April 12 incident. The prison term, the maximum recommended for Aranda by state sentencing guidelines, was agreed upon in the plea deal.