At Monday's annual media day, Timberwolves veteran Kevin Martin made it clear he considers himself the team's starting shooting guard in a new season when interim coach Sam Mitchell seems intent on giving young Zach LaVine every opportunity to grow and develop.
Martin has started for most of his 12-year NBA career, but he also came off the bench one season for a superstar-led Oklahoma City team that won 60 games that year.
So when someone suggested Monday there's a compelling case for him to fulfill either role on a team that won 16 games last season, he disagreed.
"No, there's not a compelling case," he said. "I know what I am among shooting guards in the league."
Three days later, he softened his opinion when asked about his words, saying, "We're just in here working hard, trying to get things together to have a better season than last year and we'll go from there."
Mitchell will make such decisions, but he said the team remains nearly a month away from playing a game that counts.
"Guys wait, it's too early to even worry about that," he told reporters. "We got a lot of time between now and then."
Martin is the savvy veteran who first played in the NBA when LaVine was 9 years old, and at age 32, he remains one of its most efficient scorers. He's also the Wolves' best three-point shooter and maybe their only outside shooter who defenders don't dare leave.