Abdullahi Yusuf, one of nine young men arrested in a sweeping FBI probe of ISIS recruitment in Minnesota, on Thursday became one of the few Americans to be allowed back in society after trying to join the terror group.
A federal judge in Minneapolis granted Yusuf, 21, supervised release from the federal halfway house where he has been held since his sentencing in November 2016.
Escorted to the federal courthouse in Minneapolis on Thursday morning by FBI agents, Yusuf left the building with his parents. He will return to their Burnsville home for the first time since his arrest three years ago.
"We're just very glad to meet again our son," Yusuf's father, Sadiik Yusuf, told reporters after Thursday's hearing. "We will be ready to help him."
Yusuf cooperated with federal authorities during the investigation and was the first of the nine co-defendants eligible for release — albeit under intense federal supervision. He was sentenced last year to time served after spending nearly two years in detention and has been staying at a federal halfway house in the Twin Cities.
Senior U.S. District Judge Michael Davis, who oversaw last year's landmark ISIS recruitment trial in Minneapolis, granted Yusuf's release after spending 45 minutes closely questioning both the young man and officials from the U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services office in Minnesota. As part of his sentence, Yusuf must remain under supervision for 20 years.
Eric Hermes, Yusuf's probation officer, testified that while in the halfway house, Yusuf earned his high school diploma, underwent counseling and participated in community service. Yusuf even became a role model for other residents, Hermes said, and recently gave up his own room for another resident who suffered a stroke.
"He continues to set goals for himself as he moves forward," Hermes testified.