Three men have been charged in the fatal shooting of a 26-year-old man whose funeral in St. Paul was the scene of deadly gunfire that police have described as being gang-related.
Second-degree murder charges were unsealed Monday against 23-year-old Montez D. Davis of Brooklyn Park; 25-year-old Kendall D. Pruitt of Minneapolis; and 27-year-old Delaquay L. Williams of St. Paul, in connection with the Feb. 1 shooting of Casanova Carter, 26, of St. Paul.
All the defendants remain jailed in lieu of $2 million bail. Messages were left with attorneys for Williams and Pruitt seeking their response to the allegations. Court records do not show an attorney for Davis. All are due back in court in the coming weeks.
While the charges don't spell out a specific motive, they do say that Carter recently had posted an accusation on social media that Pruitt was a "snitch, and as a result Pruitt and [Carter] were beefing."
A St. Paul police officer assigned to the gun and gang unit wrote in a court filing that Pruitt and Carter were both Hit Squad members, and "this conflict had escalated in recent weeks" leading up to Carter's death, "and they had been threatening one another ever since."
During Carter's funeral on Feb. 21, Agustin Martinez, 28, of Crystal, was shot to death and three other people were wounded in gunfire in the 400 block of Humboldt Avenue outside near Bradshaw Funeral Homes' Simple Traditions location.
Police spokesman Steve Linders has said that department investigators "believe this was gang-related."
Ramsey County Attorney John Choi said Monday, "I am pleased that we are able to bring forward charges in this series of violent acts that has impacted many victims and our community.