DULUTH — With thousands of free cups of cocoa, bags of cookies and signature winter hats for kids, Nathan Bentley is preparing for a record year of visitors to Duluth's Bentleyville this season.
And the executive director of the annual Christmas light display at Bayfront Festival Park has a hot tip for tour-goers:
"Don't come early, come late," Bentley said, especially if you're kid-free. "Come at 8:30, 9 p.m. Spread yourself out."
Last year's pandemic-induced drive-through event led to hours-long waits in cars, especially for those who arrived early and on weekends, and the city's major Interstate 35 construction project will make traffic a "huge challenge" this year, he said, for the event that opened Saturday.
But aside from some Santa Claus-related COVID protocols — no sitting on his lap this year — the tour of more than 5 million twinkling lights returns to normal.
About $250,000 of a $750,000 budget was spent on new displays, including more Instagram-worthy walk-in photo backgrounds and stops for inevitable proposals, a unicorn, a tree farm and a "together again" theme.
Also new this year is round-the-clock video surveillance. Thieves and vandals have consistently plagued the attraction after hours. Duluth's Downtown Computer donated the system.
All of Bentleyville's lights now use the more efficient LED bulbs, including 6 miles of rope lights. The city of Duluth pays the electricity bill as part of its contract with the organization to keep the attraction at Bayfront. Last year the bill was $12,000, said Kate Van Daele, a city spokeswoman. (More — $45,000 — is spent on those free cookies and cocoa.)