With evidence still in dispute, attorneys for Minneapolis say they plan to return to the negotiating table with state human rights investigators after weeks of deadlock to continue working toward a court-enforceable agreement on reforms to the city's police department.
The negotiations have been on hold since last month, when the Minneapolis City Attorney's Office said staff had been unable to independently verify some of the findings in the state agency's investigation into Minneapolis police. The city asked for underlying evidence and more precise data from the state it said was necessary to continue talks.
In a letter Friday to Mayor Jacob Frey, Department of Human Rights Commissioner Rebecca Lucero said the city already possesses the evidence to corroborate her agency's findings, and that she does not intend to release more data at this time.
The Department of Human Rights and the city "are not currently in court litigating each fact that underlies the pattern of race discrimination," wrote Lucero. "Further detailing or disclosing specific pieces of evidence at this stage could jeopardize attorney work product and privileged information, reveal confidential sources, and undermine litigation if that becomes necessary."
Late Friday, acting City Attorney Peter Ginder told the Star Tribune his office plans to show up for the next standing meeting with Lucero, breaking the stalemate.
"The City will move forward with the scheduled meeting on June 21 with MDHR, but is disappointed to not have received a substantive response and answers to our questions and concerns," Ginder said in a statement. "As stated before, we are firmly committed to working with both the [Minnesota Department of Human Rights] and [Department of Justice] to advance this work to address the discrimination issues identified in the report."
These and other exchanges between the city and Lucero in recent weeks reflect the negotiations taking an adversarial tone—starkly different from the cooperative public-facing messaging from both sides just six weeks ago, when Lucero announced her department's long-awaited charge against the Minneapolis Police Department of a pattern of illegal, race-based policing. At that time, Minneapolis City Attorney James Rowader said he was "fully committed to working with MDHR to address the issues in the report" and looked forward to meeting with Human Rights leaders.
Two weeks later, with little explanation, Rowader announced he was leaving the City Attorney's Office. Since then, Jones Day, a private law firm working with the city by contract, has taken a more prominent role in the negotiations. On Tuesday, the city missed its second biweekly meeting with human rights officials, and it's now been at least a month since the parties have met in person.