Allina Health is pausing its practice of denying non-emergency clinical care to patients with substantial unpaid medical bills.
The Minneapolis-based health provider announced the decision Friday along with plans to talk with community leaders and its own doctors about ways to help patients who are struggling to pay their bills.
"We are committed to listening to our community and working to better understand the barriers to accessing the financial support available to our patients," said the statement from Allina's chief executive, Lisa Shannon.
The announcement came one week after a New York Times story publicized the policy, and Minnesota Attorney General Keith Ellison invited any patients affected by it to contact his office for investigation.
Patients under the Allina policy weren't able to make appointments with clinical providers if they had three or more instances of $1,500 in unpaid debts. Allina officials stressed that the paused policy only affected clinical care, not hospital care.
Before the policy took effect, patients should have received 20 billing statements or phone calls that mentioned payment options and financial assistance. However, the pause was partly a recognition that Allina hadn't given its clinicians enough information to pass along to patients and help them avoid any denial of care.
Allina estimated that the restriction affected about 2,000 out of 1.9 million clinic patients per year. The policy previously had been suspended at the start of the pandemic but restarted in 2021.
Attorney Margaret Henehan said she has helped patients with medical debts regain access to care at Allina, as well as at Mayo Clinic in Rochester and other providers across Minnesota. Cutting off patients has become more common in recent years, following the COVID-19 pandemic that increased financial pressure on hospitals, she said.