Roads in the Twin Cities metro area became far more dangerous after the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, as motorists drove faster, eschewed seat belts and got behind the wheel while impaired by alcohol or drugs, according to newly released state data.
Crashes resulting in serious injury or death spiked between 2020 and 2022, effectively erasing a decade of steady declines. Traffic safety experts and advocates say they hope the two-year period was an anomaly as they work toward an ambitious goal of cutting Twin Cities traffic fatalities from 182 to 72 by 2025.
Traffic deaths statewide hit 488 in 2021 and 446 last year, after five straight years below 400. The goal is to cut that number to 225 by 2025.
"We have more work to do," said state traffic engineer Mark Wagner, who compiled crash data presented at last week's Toward Zero Deaths conference in Brooklyn Center. "If it was a random spike, that would be great news."
There is some encouraging news: 2023 is off to a better start, with crashes resulting in serious injury or death trending down, Wagner said. As of Monday, year-to-date traffic deaths totaled 87 compared with 110 at this time last year.
But with the heavy travel season between Memorial Day and Labor Day — often labeled the "100 Deadliest Days of Summer" — yet to come, Wagner said it will take everybody to keep the roads safe.
"We can't drive as fast as we want," he said in an interview. "We all need to do our part."
Speeding and impairment were the leading factors that fueled a 49% rise in traffic deaths in the metro area from 2020 to 2022, rising from 122 to 182. In the same time period, crashes that left people seriously injured jumped from 696 to 951, a 36% increase, according to the state data.