COVID-19 cases have led to the cancellation of at least eight Minnesota high school football games scheduled for this weekend, although several teams found other opponents or were still looking.
A game between Kasson-Mantorville and Mankato East, set for Saturday, was canceled after two separate COVID cases involving the Kasson-Mantorville team.
"We had a player who was out at one practice and then tested positive for COVID,'' KoMets coach Joel Swanson said in a statement. "Because we were following guidelines, we did not have all of our ninth- through 12th-grade players on the same field, but we had another COVID incidence that occurred over the previous weekend.''
That led to quarantines for position coaches "and all of the players that were on the field for an extended amount of time with the player,'' said Swanson, in quarantine for 14 days.
He called it "one game to give up for the safety of all of our players, coaches, their families and the opponents and the community. It is tough on the players but it is a 'no-brainer' in the big picture of life. Another lesson in life and we continue to adjust and adapt."
Swanson said he expects his team to be back at practice Tuesday in preparation for an Oct. 16 game.
Mankato East was able to schedule a replacement home game against Worthington on Saturday. Worthington had been seeking a game because Fairmont, its scheduled opponent on Saturday, is in a school district that recently shifted to distance learning because of an increase in county COVID cases.
School sports teams in districts forced to use distance learning are not allowed to practice or play games during that time. Schools such as those in Minneapolis and St. Paul, which chose distance learning for other reasons, can still play sports.