An attorney for Derek Chauvin said the former Minneapolis police officer who was convicted of murdering George Floyd is out of hospital and back in the Arizona federal prison where he was stabbed 22 times by a fellow inmate who stands charged with the knife attack.
Family members "confirmed that his medical condition has improved to the extent that he has been removed from the trauma care facility at a local Tucson hospital and returned to prison custody for his follow up care," said Gregory Erickson, who represents Chauvin in civil matters connected to Floyd's murder in May 2020.
While Chauvin's family members are grateful for his recovery, they remain "very concerned about the facility's capacity to protect Derek from further harm," Erickson said. "They remain unassured that any changes have been made to the faulty procedures that allowed Derek's attack to occur in the first place."
On Friday, a onetime Los Angeles street gang member was charged in U.S. District Court with attempted murder, assault with intent to commit murder, assault with a dangerous weapon and assault resulting in serious bodily injury stemming from the Nov. 24 attack with a makeshift knife in the Tucson prison's law library.
After John Turscak was subdued by corrections officers, he said he had been thinking about attacking the 47-year-old Chauvin because of the fired police officer's notoriety.
Erickson said U.S. Bureau of Prisons officials stymied his efforts to get timely information about Chauvin's condition, at one point telling him he could make a request under the federal Freedom of Information Act.
That would take 30 days to process, the attorney said, which "is completely unacceptable in the constantly evolving situation at hand."
Erickson said Chauvin's family finally heard from him that the facts contained in the charging document are accurate including that "the perpetrator attacked Derek from behind with an improvised knife."