Just past 2 a.m. Friday, an off-duty police officer and security guard are patrolling the sidewalk in front of the downtown Minneapolis Pizza Lucé.
They are looking for trouble.
"Leave the drink outside, ladies," the guard tells one hobbling, drunken gaggle of partyers. "Gotta see IDs," he says to another.
A shooting at Pizza Lucé landed the venue in trouble with regulators last year, but it remains open after agreeing to tougher security.
Meanwhile, other bars where a patron was shot in the last year, such as Champions and Epic, have closed.
Records and interviews show a wide patchwork of security and regulations governing Minneapolis bars and nightclubs, which are facing intense new scrutiny after someone shot nine people at 400 Soundbar last weekend. Police are still looking for a suspect, but the club is shutting down and all victims are expected to survive.
When clubs attract serious crime, city regulators can negotiate an array of conditions on their liquor licenses that usually call for bolstering security. Liquor licenses are the lifeblood for any downtown bar or nightclub, so the city has significant leverage to force changes.
"The interesting thing is the conditions are almost all customized," said business licensing director Grant Wilson. "There's none that are exactly the same."