Faced with a stubborn slide in sales at its U.S. stores, Best Buy Co. Inc. announced Thursday its steepest round of cuts: closure of 50 big box stores and elimination of 400 positions at corporate headquarters in Richfield.
The closings include five stores in the Twin Cities area, leaving 301 workers without jobs. Nationally, layoffs will likely be in the thousands since each store employs roughly 100 workers, including so-called Blue Shirts and Geek Squad technicians.
Best Buy, once known as the undisputed discount king of consumer electronics, has been struggling to find its place in a world dominated by flashy high-end brand temples like Apple Stores and low-cost Internet retailers like Amazon. Customers have been increasingly migrating online, where they often find better deals, forcing Best Buy to figure out a reason why shoppers would need to visit an actual store.
Last year, Best Buy lost a staggering $1.2 billion as it deeply discounted merchandise to keep pace with rivals Amazon and Wal-Mart.
All in all, Best Buy hopes to shed $800 million over the next three years, savings the company plans to use to fund its new "connected" store remodels, international expansion and digital services. But even CEO Brian Dunn admits the company's efforts to remake itself are fraught with frustration and uncertainty.
"I'm not satisfied," Dunn told the Star Tribune.
"We have a long [history] of transforming ourselves to be where the customers need to be," he said. However, "I need more information."
For example, the company plans to reduce its retail square footage in the Twin Cities and San Antonio by 20 percent this year. Instead, Best Buy will remodel its big boxes with smaller "connected stores" that focus more on high-level service. Will Best Buy customers like the new format, shop more online, or simply go to Wal-Mart or Target? Dunn wants to know.