Honey, the beloved basement club on E. Hennepin Avenue in Minneapolis, will close permanently along with its sister restaurant Ginger Hop, following extended closures related to the coronavirus pandemic.
The owners of both locations announced they were shutting down with a short Facebook post Thursday afternoon. Ginger Hop's final day of business is Saturday. Honey initially shut down after Minneapolis ordered the closure of bars, restaurants and other public spaces earlier this month to limit the spread of the virus. Ginger Hop briefly attempted to keep its kitchen open for takeout service.
The owners said they were already considering the future of both businesses before the coronavirus reached Minnesota.
"You just can't see right now what tomorrow or three months from now or six months from now" will look like, co-owner Jon Provenzano said Friday morning. "Maybe it's our turn to hand it off to someone else."
Provenzano, together with Charles Lodge, Katey Leitch and Jake Polt opened Ginger Hop and Honey in 2009. The four of them have worked together in the restaurant industry since 1994.
Located right below Ginger Hop, Honey gained a reputation for its cavernous appearance, booming sound system and no-frills dance floor.
"Some people call it a nightclub. We've never looked at it as a nightclub," Provenzano, 48, said. "We looked at it as a community space that people danced at."
A diverse crowd descended the club's stairs every weekend looking for a place to dance, listen to music and express themselves. There was no dress code.