A federal judge this week imposed one of the longest child pornography sentences in recent Minnesota memory by sending a Bloomington man to prison for 40 years for victimizing at least 22 children and briefly fleeing overseas to evade prosecution.
U.S. District Judge Donovan Frank, noting that he had presided over hundreds of such cases in his career, singled out 31-year-old Ibrahim Ghassan Sleyman on Thursday as “distinguishable” from many past cases based on the severity of his crimes and hands-on sexual abuse committed against some of his victims.
Sleyman, who pleaded guilty to multiple child pornography counts and enticement of a minor last year, used Snapchat and other messaging apps to solicit sexually explicit images and sex acts from boys and girls ages 9-16 from October 2020 to March 2023, according to court records.
Prosecutors said he groomed one minor victim to make child pornography and later have sex with him in exchange for drugs and other gifts.
Sleyman fled to Abu Dhabi in the United Arab Emirates in 2022, just days after law enforcement interviewed him. While there, he continued to engage in sexually explicit conversations with minors in the United States and tried to influence what his victims would tell authorities investigating him.
Sleyman was extradited by the UAE one year after fleeing to that country and taken into custody by the FBI.
Assistant U.S. Attorney Hillary Taylor said in a memo to the court that the investigation is ongoing “and it is anticipated that there are still dozens of minor victims yet to be identified.”

Though Sleyman was charged with crimes dating back nearly four years, Taylor wrote in a sentencing memo that Sleyman had “identified, groomed, and sexually abused multiple minor victims both online and in-person” since at least 2017.