Two pedestrians hit by Blue Line train in south Minneapolis

Two pedestrians were struck and injured by Blue Line trains in two separate crashes Monday in south Minneapolis, Metro Transit officials said.

That makes 13 who have been hit this year and 107 since light-rail service along the 11-mile line between downtown Minneapolis and the Mall of America started in 2004.

In the first incident, a man was hit just as a train was pulling into the station at E. 46th Street and was taken from the scene in an ambulance. The man, identified by a witness as Michael Klever, was struck by a northbound train about 9:35 a.m. He was conscious but in distress as a woman held his hand before medical personnel took over.

Klever was in satisfactory condition at Hennepin County Medical Center on Monday afternoon, a hospital spokeswoman said.

He is expected to survive, said Metro Transit spokesman Howie Padilla.

Service was interrupted for about 30 minutes.

In the second incident about 11:30 a.m., a woman made "minor contact" with a northbound train as it pulled into the 50th Street/Minnehaha Park Station, said Metro Transit spokesman Drew Kerr. She was up walking shortly afterward but was taken to a hospital for observation. Her injuries did not appear to be life-threatening, Kerr said.

Service resumed around noon.

Monday's crashes continued a disturbing trend. On Friday at the 46th Street Station, bicyclist Jason M. McCormick, 29, of Minneapolis, was hit and killed. And last week, one person was killed and a second injured in two separate incidents along the Green Line in St. Paul.

ckelly@startribune.com • 612-799-4179

pwalsh@startribune.com • 612-673-4482

tharlow@startribune.com • 612-673-7768

A Blue Line train is halted at the 50th Street Station after a collision with a pedestrian on Monday, Dec. 14, 2015.
A Blue Line train is halted at the 50th Street Station after a collision with a pedestrian on Monday, Dec. 14, 2015. (Colleen Kelly — Star Tribune/The Minnesota Star Tribune)
A northbound Blue Line train is stopped at the 46th Street station as officials tend to a man hit by the train about 9:30 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 14, 2015.
A northbound Blue Line train is stopped at the 46th Street station as officials tend to a man hit by the train about 9:30 a.m. on Monday, Dec. 14, 2015. (Colleen Kelly — Star Tribune/The Minnesota Star Tribune)
about the writers

about the writers

Colleen Kelly

Senior Digital Editor

Colleen Kelly guides the Star Tribune's digital content and strategic planning. She focuses on audience engagement efforts such as Curious Minnesota, enterprise project planning and social media.

See Moreicon

Tim Harlow

Reporter

Tim Harlow covers traffic and transportation issues in the Minneapolis-St. Paul area, and likes to get out of the office, even during rush hour. He also covers the suburbs in northern Hennepin and all of Anoka counties, plus breaking news and weather.

See Moreicon

Paul Walsh

Reporter

Paul Walsh is a general assignment reporter at the Minnesota Star Tribune. He wants your news tips, especially in and near Minnesota.

See Moreicon