Brookdale Center closed its remaining retail stores Monday -- except for Sears -- as a local TV and film producer put in a bid to buy the shopping center and turn part of it into film and music production studios.
Donald Jackson, owner of Maple Grove-based Poor No More Inc., said he sent a letter to Brookdale's owners offering to pay more than the $12.5 million price they paid for the 47-year-old mall at a sheriff's foreclosure sale in February. He wouldn't say how much more he offered.
"Our hope is to create a motion picture production company," Jackson said. "We are also looking at a music recording studio." He said he is trying to find investors or other financing.
Brooklyn Center City Manager Curt Boganey said the city was informed that the mall was asking its remaining stores to leave by Monday. Sears, which owns its site, will stay open, he said. He said he was sent a copy of Jackson's letter but had heard nothing recently from Capmark Finance, the lead owner.
"Capmark's interest is in finding a buyer," Boganey said. "Our interest is in working with an owner for redevelopment."
David Blum, a Capmark vice president, said he received Jackson's letter last week.
"We want to know his capitalization and means to pay for the asset," Blum said by phone from New York. "He has to prove his financial strength."
Blum wouldn't say if any other offers had been made on the mall property, which is roughly 625,000 square feet and doesn't include Sears, the Kohl's lot or the former Macy's store.