A plan to increase the capacity of the Burnsville Sanitary Landfill was unanimously approved Tuesday night by the Burnsville City Council, with the state poised to make decisions about another essential permit as soon as September.
The council's approval allows the landfill — owned by Waste Management, the nation's largest trash firm — to take in an additional 26 million cubic yards of household waste and grow 268 feet taller over the next 40 years, while also shrinking its footprint by a dozen acres.
"I understand that there are some community members that don't want the landfill to expand," said Burnsville Mayor Elizabeth Kautz. "However, the landfill is here and it's not going away."
At 1,082 feet above sea level, the resulting trash mountain near the Minnesota River would tower over landmarks like U.S. Bank Stadium in Minneapolis. The Federal Aviation Administration will require lights on top to prevent interference with airplanes.
The next 10 years of expansion received a draft permit from the Minnesota Pollution Control Agency (MPCA) in July and the state finalized two other steps — the certificate of need process and an environmental review — in April. Agency officials will accept public comment through Sept. 4.
The project's opponents, including Bloomington city officials, cite visual and environmental concerns.
"The more we learn about the project, the more concerns we have," Bloomington Mayor Tim Busse said last month.
Busse cited worries about the portions of the Burnsville landfill that are unlined and whether trash from those areas might eventually interact with groundwater when water levels rise at the nearby Kraemer Quarry and when the Minnesota River floods.