GOP candidate for governor Scott Jensen has claimed in videos, emails and on social media that Democratic Gov. Tim Walz has canceled numerous debates, including a faceoff at the State Fair.
"He has canceled debates in front of the Chamber of Commerce, Rochester, Game Fair and several others. And now today he's saying, 'MPR debate at the State Fair, I'm not going,'" Jensen said in a video posted Monday, suggesting Walz is avoiding conversations on inflation and crime.
Walz's campaign, and various debate hosts, confirmed the governor will not be participating in several events. Walz's spokesman said he did not technically cancel the debates — he just never agreed to do them.
"None of these were on the books. None of them were ever publicly or privately agreed to. So we are not doing the MPR debate, but we did not withdraw from it," campaign spokesman Darwin Forsyth said.
He said Walz has been asked to participate in 19 debates and the "sheer quantity" of invitations means he cannot take part in all of them. The Walz campaign declined to provide a list of the 19 debates. Jensen and Walz debated for the first time earlier this month at Farmfest.
"The governor has been clear publicly that there will be more debates. We can't make every single debate and [the MPR event] is not one that we were going to be able to do," he said, adding they have yet to confirm any other debates.
Walz participated in that debate at the fair in 2018 during his first run for governor. This year, Jensen accepted while Walz declined, according to MPR.
Four years ago, the governor also participated in the debate at Game Fair, a six-day hunting event in Ramsey. This year, hosts contacted Walz's campaign multiple times offering to reschedule the event to a time that worked for the governor, said Rob Drieslein with Outdoor News, which was co-hosting the debate.