A woman has been charged with unleashing a racist tirade toward a Black Uber driver on Hennepin Avenue in south Minneapolis last year.
Jill C. Berquist, 38, of Minneapolis was initially charged in Hennepin County District Court on June 22 with two misdemeanors: falsely reporting a crime — that the driver hit her — and disorderly conduct in connection with the tirade on April 1, 2022, that the driver video-recorded and posted on YouTube.
However, an amended charge filed Tuesday by the City Attorney's Office removed the charge of falsely reporting a crime. Unchanged in the amended version is the nearly 500-word explanation for why both counts had been justified. On Wednesday, the City Attorney's Office declined to elaborate on why the false reporting count was dismissed.
Berquist, who was charged by summons after prosecutors learned of the incident on May 16, made her initial court appearance Tuesday afternoon and is due back in court on Sept. 20.
The driver, 47-year-old Wesley Gakuo of St. Paul, told the Star Tribune he never touched Berquist nor ever been subjected to such a racist verbal attack since moving to Minnesota from Kenya in 1999.
Gakuo, who still drives for Uber, said he holds no ill will against Berquist: "I hope she will figure a way for her life."
In an interview Wednesday, Berquist said she never should have uttered the slurs but insisted that the driver struck her and held her down. She sent the Star Tribune photos of what she said were injuries inflicted on her by the driver to her head, knee and a finger.