A 33-year-old man was charged Friday with setting a double amputee's tent on fire at a homeless encampment near Target Field last week.
The criminal complaint filed in Hennepin County District Court said the victim, 57-year-old Steven J. Waddell, remained hospitalized Friday morning in critical condition with burns to 85% to 95% of his body. His wheelchair was also badly burned, the complaint added.
"He is unlikely to survive his injuries," the charging document read.
Anthony C. Leikas of Minneapolis was charged with first-degree attempted murder and first-degree assault in connection with the arson attack Dec. 4.
Leikas was arrested Thursday ahead of a court appearance later Friday. Court records do not list an attorney for him. The complaint does not offer a motive for the arson.
According to the charges:
Police were alerted around 1 a.m. on Dec. 5 that someone had started a fire at the encampment near Glenwood Avenue and Twins Way. Officers soon located Waddell on the ground, severely burned.
Waddell told the officers that a man said "burn in hell" as he set the tent ablaze.