The wedding was less than two weeks away.
Everything the bride and groom had planned for the past year was ready: Church, dress, flowers, caterer, photographer and the reception at an airy, light-filled wedding barn in Isanti County. Soon, 185 guests would be packing their bags; family would be flying up from Alabama to see Minnesota at its best.
Everything was ready — except the Circle B wedding venue, which was out of business. Effective immediately. Without warning. Without a refund.
In tears, bride-to-be Katelyn Stalboerger posted an appeal on TikTok.
She and her fiancé chose the picturesque barn for their May 4 wedding reception. Then on Sunday evening came a curt email from the business, owned by Wayne and Angi Butt, who also own the Historic Furber Farm wedding venue in Cottage Grove. Subject line: “Circle B Permanently Closed.”
The Butts cut the ribbon on the Isanti County wedding barn in 2023, but the message from Circle B said the “historic” venue was closing due to rising costs, a changing economy and competition from newer businesses.
“[W]e understand that this news will not only be disheartening to many of you and your families, but for many of you this will been devastating for your plans, for that we are truly sorry,” read the message, concluding with: “Nobody is available to take calls or emails.”
Circle B’s website and social media had been deleted. Couples who managed to reach the Butts or their attorney were told brusquely that all the payments in full the Butts had required — including fees that some couples said were requested just days before that email went out — would not be reimbursed.