Editor's note: This is an overnight breaking news update of Sunday's story about the social justice battle that has emerged in Uptown Minneapolis. The current live version of the story is here.
A woman was killed and two others were injured after being struck by a car during a protest in Uptown on Sunday night, the Minneapolis Police Department said early Monday morning.
Police said the suspect was pulled from his car by protesters after the 11:39 p.m. crash and is now in custody and being treated for injuries at a hospital. Police did not say how the man was hurt or give the extent of his injuries. The man's motive was not immediately known.
There had been ongoing protests in Uptown after the shooting June 3 of Winston Boogie Smith Jr., a 32-year-old father of three.
A social justice battle is being waged particularly in an Uptown Minneapolis alley, again and again and again.
The entry lane to the parking garage where Smith was killed by a law enforcement task force has been painted and repainted at least five times in the past week as activists and the property owner strive for the last word.
Meanwhile, as residents of the area hope for peace, a high-profile business announced Sunday that it's pulling out of Uptown after 35 years, citing concerns about crime and social unrest. Juut Salon Spa, a fixture at the corner of Hennepin Avenue and Lake Street, posted the news on its Facebook page.
"It has become more and more evident that Uptown continues to struggle with store closings, social unrest, crime and street closures," it read. "We would be heartbroken if anything were to happen to our team members or clients. With that at the forefront, we made this difficult decision."