In a new television ad and on the campaign trail Saturday, Republican U.S. Sen. Norm Coleman blamed his DFL challenger, Al Franken, for orchestrating an "11th-hour attack" connected to a lawsuit alleging that a top Coleman donor funneled money to Coleman's wife. That prompted a heated denial from Franken, who said: "Senator Coleman looks the people of Minnesota in the eye and lies."
Coleman offered no proof Saturday of a connection between the lawsuit, which was filed by a Republican businessman in Texas last week, and either Franken or anyone in the Democratic Party.
But in a TV ad that began airing Saturday, Coleman, seated on a couch next to his wife, Laurie, looks directly into the camera and says, "This time Al Franken's crossed the line. ... I'm fair game for his ugly smears. My wife and family are not."
Within an hour, Franken abruptly canceled an appearance at a campaign rally in Minneapolis to hustle over to a DFL Party news conference, where he denied the accusations and called Coleman's remarks "insulting to voters."
"I'm being blamed for crossing a line and I didn't do a thing," Franken said. "And our campaign didn't do a thing."
Barkley weighs in
Meanwhile, Independence Party candidate Dean Barkley called the latest round of accusations and denials that are suddenly dominating the Senate race "a fitting end to the dirtiest campaign in Minnesota history."
The lawsuit filed Monday alleges that a top Coleman donor, businessman Nasser Kazeminy, steered $75,000 from a Houston company that he has a majority interest in to a Minneapolis insurance company that employs Laurie Coleman as an independent contractor.