A top Minnesota Department of Corrections official who resigned last week leaked private personnel information and lobbied on state time for a veterans' organization run by her husband, according to investigative documents released Thursday night by the DOC.
The documents accuse former Deputy Commissioner Sarah Walker of disclosing sensitive data that led to an MPR story about the 2018 sexual assault of a senior corrections staffer by a guard.
"Both of these things speak to issues of public trust," said Commissioner Paul Schnell, who initiated the two complaints against Walker in late June after receiving information from external parties. "I was compelled to act."
Walker, who abruptly quit her post last Friday amid an ongoing government probe, has vehemently denied the lobbying claims. She says political foes are unfairly investigating her ties to the Veterans Defense Project, a Minneapolis nonprofit that does legal work for military veterans.
"I did not meet with any legislators or have any communication with legislators regarding the VDP," she wrote in a statement to the Star Tribune. "All of my lobbying responsibilities for the VDP were transferred to another lobbyist prior to my start date at the DOC."
Her husband, attorney Brockton Hunter, is listed as president of the group.
Reached by e-mail Thursday night, Walker declined to address the newly surfaced allegations. "I am relieved to see the specifics of the complaints against me finally made public," she wrote. "I am out of the state with family, attending my father-in-law's memorial service, and look forward to responding upon my return home."
The Minnesota Management and Budget agency confirmed that an outside investigator was retained June 26 to vet all complaints. But Schnell says the investigation was called off shortly after she severed ties with the DOC.