A federal judge has ordered UnitedHealth Group to reprocess tens of thousands of claims from behavioral health patients to remedy its past usage of overly restrictive coverage guidelines — a "fundamentally flawed" approach, the judge ruled last year, that was "tainted" by the health insurer's financial interests.
The order Tuesday came more than a year after Judge Joseph Spero of the U.S. District Court of Northern California ruled that UnitedHealth's behavioral health division used internal guidelines for denying claims that strayed from the terms of patients' health plans.
The division used the guidelines "to protect its bottom line," Spero wrote in his order this week. United Behavioral Health (UBH) "lied to state regulators" to conceal misconduct, the judge wrote, and executives responsible for the guidelines "deliberately attempted to mislead the court at trial in this matter."
"The harm that UBH caused by applying overly restrictive guidelines to make coverage determinations goes beyond the money spent by class members who could afford to obtain the treatment that UBH refused to cover," Spero wrote.
"Rather, it was the unfair adjudication of claims that was experienced by all of the class members (and for some deprived them of much-needed treatment that should have been covered by their health plans) ...," he added. "A fair determination of class members' claims will also allow them to correct the 'record' so that they can, if appropriate, pursue other remedies."
A spokesman for Minnetonka-based UnitedHealth Group said the company was reviewing the order and considering options including an appeal.
"Over the last several years, we have taken concrete steps to improve access to quality care by enhancing coverage through clinician-developed evidence-based guidelines, expanding our network of providers and providing new ways for people to quickly access care," the company said in a statement. "We are focused on ensuring our members get the quality, compassionate care they need, and will continue working closely with people across the behavioral health community on this important issue."
Attorneys said that more than 50,000 patients are in the class of plaintiffs whose claims for residential or outpatient treatment were denied as UBH used the guidelines. Plaintiffs allege UBH denied them or their dependents coverage for residential or outpatient treatments between 2011 and 2016.