Minnesota health systems are feeling financial pain from the shutdown in elective health care procedures, with revenue cuts prompting unpaid leaves and reduced hours for workers not directly involved with the response to COVID-19.
M Health Fairview, which is one of the state's largest health care providers, said Tuesday it expects to reduce some staff work hours beginning Monday. The Mayo Clinic is reducing or temporarily suspending hours or projects for supplemental or contract workers. Duluth-based Essentia Health has placed 500 nonmedical employees on unpaid leave.
Hospitals supported an order in March from Gov. Tim Walz to indefinitely postponed all elective surgeries and procedures in Minnesota to conserve resources for COVID-19 patients, but it's causing revenue hits in the near-term.
"This is an important substory behind the COVID-19 crisis," said Dr. Rahul Koranne, president of the Minnesota Hospital Association.
"The first story, and the most important story, is that these health care systems are caregivers, and so the focus is to prepare," Koranne said. But he added: "Some of our health care systems are calling it a significant bleeding that's happening right now."
Minneapolis-based M Health Fairview says it will provide affected employees a minimum of 50% pay and continuing benefits. The changes don't apply to unionized workers, nor do they impact staff caring for patients sickened by the widening coronavirus pandemic.
It's not yet clear how many will see reduced hours, but reductions are expected starting Monday through May 3. Employees could be called back or reassigned to address expected surges in COVID-19 patients, the health system says.
M Health Fairview is the brand for clinical health care at Fairview Health Services, which includes the University of Minnesota Medical Center in Minneapolis. Last year, Fairview employed more than 33,000 people across a health system that includes 10 acute care hospitals, more than 100 clinics, a large pharmacy business and long-term care facilities.