Insurers say that Minnesota's market for individual coverage has shrunk by about 30 percent, a significant decline that could drive premium increases for consumers, financial losses for carriers and more of the volatility seen over the past three years.
A preliminary analysis released Thursday shows that no more than 190,000 people currently are buying individual market coverage, which in March was the source of insurance for about 270,000 state residents, according to the Minnesota Council of Health Plans, a trade group for insurers.
The news came a few hours after state officials announced record enrollment at MNsure, the government-run marketplace where consumers can tap tax credits on individual coverage.
The MNsure news shows that the exchange simply has a bigger share of a shrinking pie, the trade group said, while calling the overall trend "alarming."
"People who probably don't use as much care are opting not to buy insurance," said Jim Schowalter, chief executive of the Minnesota Council of Health Plans, in an interview.
"If enrollment is down, that means that fewer and fewer people are helping shoulder the high medical expenses," Schowalter said. "That makes everyone's premiums go up, which means that even fewer people will choose to buy insurance in the future — making a very bad situation worse."
The discouraging words are just the latest grim take of an insurance market that state regulators last year said was on the verge of collapse, with all insurers threatening to exit given the prospect of mounting financial losses.
The individual market serves primarily self-employed people and those who don't get coverage through work or a government program. It's a small slice of the health insurance world that's undergone fundamental changes with the federal Affordable Care Act (ACA).