A group of disabled seniors who may be forced out of a Newport apartment building say their landlord has refused to meet with them or grant more time to find another place to live.
The seniors, who live with a variety of mental and physical disabilities in the Wings of Newport housing complex, say the threat to their housing came with the end of the pandemic-related eviction moratorium. Some worry they could now become homeless.
"It's not like we didn't pay rent. It's not like we did anything wrong. He just decided to end everybody's lease," said resident Lucretia Brewer.
The standoff has pitted a few dozen residents against Chris Onken, the CEO of Zumbro House, a Woodbury-based corporation that bills itself as a leader in the development of community-based supported residential services.
Onken said Friday that he wants to make about $100,000 in renovations to the Wings complex and needs the residents out of the building to do so. The four-story, 200-unit building opened just last year, but residents have dinged up the walls and damaged the property in three floods caused by things like sinks being left on too long.
"Our goal is to take care of our asset," he said, adding that the 30-day window he gave residents for moving out is standard for a rental.
This was not the future expected for the building when city leaders attended a ribbon cutting in August of last year. Back then, the building was touted as a top-notch assisted living facility, with one- and two-bedroom units, a community room, exercise room, cafeteria and a community bus that would help people run their errands.
But soon it will contain fewer assisted living spaces and more market-rate apartments.