Disturbances involving large groups of people setting off fireworks — at times targeting civilians, police or their vehicles — erupted after dark across Minneapolis on July 4th and into early Wednesday despite efforts by city officials to prevent such mayhem.
Law enforcement agencies tackled dangerous incidents, including the "brazen and reckless" discharge of fireworks at motorists and at least four shootings, overnight that resulted in 16 arrests, said Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O'Hara. In one case, an officer chased down and arrested a 17-year-old after he was caught on video firing a barrage of Roman candles at an occupied squad car.
"We're very fortunate that there were no serious injuries this year in these incidents because of this egregious behavior," O'Hara said during a late afternoon news conference at City Hall, where he praised the professionalism and "extreme restraint" of responding officers.
"Last year, the MPD was overwhelmed and overrun," he said. "[This year] we kept these groups on the run throughout the night."
In preparation for holiday chaos, MPD more than doubled its staffing and sought assistance from the Minnesota State Patrol and the Hennepin County Sheriff's Office.
The Park Board also made the Stone Arch Bridge downtown off-limits all weekend from 10 p.m. to 6 a.m. in hopes of preventing a repeat of last year's July 4th.
Those 2022 Independence Day gatherings in or near downtown Minneapolis at times turned violent. Fireworks were launched at buildings, cars and first responders. Fewer than a hundred on-duty officers responded to more than 1,300 calls to 911, and a shooting at Boom Island Park wounded five people.

The pedestrian bridge closure this year did little to prevent a series of disturbances that spread from northeast Minneapolis to the Chain of Lakes several miles south. The Marcy-Holmes Neighborhood Association, already critical of the decision to restrict access to the Stone Arch, characterized the effort as an "utter failure."