Having lost one key federal court decision, state natural resource regulators this week went to a higher court to stop a unique Line 3-related lawsuit from moving forward.
The suit, which names "manoomin" or wild rice as the lead plaintiff, is aimed at forcing the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources (DNR) to rescind water permits it made earlier this year for the construction of Enbridge's new oil pipeline across the northern part of the state.
The White Earth Band of Ojibwe filed the suit last month in White Earth Tribal Court in northwestern Minnesota. The DNR then asked for a federal injunction to halt the suit, saying the White Earth court doesn't have jurisdiction over the state.
On Sept. 3, U.S. District Judge Wilhelmina Wright in St. Paul ruled against the DNR, saying White Earth, its tribal court and an individually named tribal member are protected from the state suit by "sovereign immunity."
The Department of Natural Resources Monday asked the St. Louis-based 8th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals to overturn Wright's decision.
"No federal case has ever held that that trial courts have jurisdiction over state officials engaged in the administration of state regulatory programs, let alone for projects located off-reservation," the DNR said in its appeal.
Frank Bibeau, an attorney for the White Earth Band, said the lower U.S. court correctly found that it lacked authority to intervene in the DNR's favor. The DNR "is just trying to hold things up," he said.
Indeed, an appeals court decision may not occur until November, and Enbridge's 340-mile pipeline could be finished by then. It's already 90 percent complete, and Calgary-based Enbridge has said it expects to start shipping oil from Canada in the fourth quarter.