Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey could face an ethics review after activists and clergy members delivered scores of complaints to City Hall on Friday raising concerns over his handling of the Amir Locke killing.
Chanting "Frey lied, Amir died," the activists climbed the stairs at City Hall and then delivered a storage container filled with neon paper containing signatures gathered after the launch of an online campaign dubbed the Residents' Complaint. Organizers said they had collected forms from more than 1,300 people. City officials had already acknowledged receiving "close to 30" complaints the day before.
"This is the first of many opportunities for us to hold Jacob Frey accountable," said Rod Adams, one of a handful of people who spoke at the event. One after the other, speakers raised concerns about Frey's handling of the killing, his campaign's false claim that he had banned no-knock warrants and a desire to see discipline for the officers involved in the search that led to Locke's death.
The mayor's office said they are confident he will prevail and the ethics complaints will be dismissed.
"Just as past politically motivated complaints were dismissed without merit during the last election, these baseless allegations will be recognized as such," Tara Niebeling, a spokesperson for the mayor, said in a statement. "Mayor Frey is focused on partnering with community to enact policy reforms and bring stronger oversight to the department's release of public information."
The complaints come as Frey — two months into his second term — is facing renewed criticism of his handling of the Minneapolis Police Department after an officer fatally shot 22-year-old Locke while executing a no-knock warrant in connection with a homicide investigation. Locke's death re-energized a national debate about banning no-knock warrants and led local activists to call for the firing of the officer who fired the fatal shots, and the resignations of Frey and interim police Chief Amelia Huffman.
Police wrote in court documents unsealed this week that they had requested a no-knock warrant to ensure officer safety and preserve potential evidence in a St. Paul homicide investigation. Minneapolis SWAT officers stormed into the Bolero Apartments on Feb. 2 yelling "Search warrant!" without knocking, police body camera video showed. Locke was asleep on a couch under a blanket; he stirred after an officer kicked the couch. He had a gun in his right hand and was shot within seconds.
The ethics complaint focuses on three areas. It says Frey and Huffman "intentionally and recklessly misrepresented the facts" of the case, including when the Police Department referred to Locke as a suspect four times in a news release. No records indicate that Locke was thought to be involved in the homicide that prompted police to execute the no-knock search warrant.