The family of a boy who was thrown off a third-floor balcony at the Mall of America in 2019 has alleged in a lawsuit that mall security failed to thoroughly investigate their son's attacker when he displayed suspicious activity there the day before the incident.
The family filed a lawsuit Tuesday in Hennepin County District Court against the mall and its owner, noting that their son, identified in the lawsuit as L.H. and known publicly as Landen, suffered severe injuries that have caused a deterioration of his memory, "adaptive skills, and academic performance." The boy was 5 at the time.
The incident on April 12, 2019, shocked the community and made national news.
The boy's family said the mall was negligent and is incapable of protecting guests from threats such as his attacker, Emmanuel Aranda, who had a documented history of violent and aggressive activity at the Bloomington shopping center where he had been banned twice.
"The Mall lacks any effective means to screen dangerous or banned individuals from entering the Mall," the lawsuit said. " [T]he Mall makes no systematic effort to even attempt to prevent dangerous or banned individuals from entering the Mall. The Mall does not ensure that security officers are distributed throughout the entire premises, to deter violence and quickly respond to suspicious or aggressive individuals."
The lawsuit said there were no security officers near where the boy was attacked.
In a statement Wednesday, the mall said it would continue to "work through" the legal process and "hopefully find resolution for all parties."
"From the day that this tragic event happened, our concern has been focused on Landen and his well-being," the statement said. "We are thankful for his ongoing and continued recovery. We can't imagine how traumatic this ordeal has been for Landen, his family, and friends. … Our thoughts and best wishes continue to remain with Landen and his family."