Amid a rocky national rollout for President Obama's health care law, enrollments in publicly subsidized plans in Minnesota have significantly outpaced private insurance purchases so far on the state's new insurance exchange.
The early trend, which has been mirrored nationally, is feeding a debate about the viability of health care reforms that depend on a major influx of new and healthy customers to keep premiums in check.
But state officials and industry analysts say it is little surprise that, in the early going at least, those eligible for free or subsidized public programs would outnumber premium-paying customers shopping on the private insurance market.
Of about 11,000 sign-ups so far on MNsure, the state's insurance exchange, nearly 9,200 qualified for public insurance plans — either Medicaid or MinnesotaCare. That compares with fewer than 1,800 who have applied for private insurance plans.
Health care analysts warn that the trend, if it continues, would be unsustainable. But most view the disparity as a temporary phenomenon that is likely to balance out as the enrollment period gets closer to the Dec. 15 deadline to obtain coverage.
In Minnesota, for example, about two-thirds of the 31,447 people who have submitted applications on the exchange since Oct. 1 are expected to land in the private insurance markets, but have not yet selected or enrolled in a plan.
"They're still shopping," said MNsure Executive Director April Todd-Malmlov. "I think for most people who do have to pay a premium, they're going to wait until they have to."
Nationally, some experts point to the impact of the widely reported malfunctions on the federal government's health exchange website, healthcare.gov. "There have been lots of problems getting people enrolled," said Matt Salo, executive director of the National Association of Medicaid Directors. "It's been a little harder getting people enrolled in the exchange side [for private plans] than on the Medicaid side."