The BBC made a massive mistake by firing "Top Gear" host Jeremy Clarkson last year — or so the network's former boss thinks.
While the drama surrounding Clarkson's suspension and subsequent dismissal for assaulting a producer sparked huge headlines around the world, it's resulted in the disaster for the hit motoring show.
"Clarkson can be a deeply objectionable individual, and I say that as a friend. I don't think people should punch their colleagues. It's hard to keep them if they do," Mark Thompson, who is now CEO of the New York Times, told Britain's Sunday Times Magazine.
"But I would say his pungent, transgressive, slightly out-of-control talent was something the BBC could ill afford to lose. He spoke to people who didn't find much else in the BBC," he said.
After Clarkson left the show in a blaze of controversy that included a lawsuit brought against him by Oisin Tymon, British radio host Chris Evans was brought in to take the wheel — but then he quit last month.
"Stepping down from 'Top Gear,'" Evans announced on Twitter. "Gave it my best shot but sometimes that's not enough. The team are beyond brilliant, I wish them all the best."
"Saturday Kitchen" star and celebrity chef James Martin is now the frontrunner for the jinxed hosting gig, according to the Daily Mirror.